Wednesday, April 10, 2013

The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry - Review



The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry is a lovely, heart-warming/wrenching read.

Harold Fry embarks on a trek to save a former colleague.  Queenie Hennessy has terminal cancer but that doesn't stop Harold from walking 600+ miles to bolster her.  It's also very much about Harold and his wife, Maureen, bridging their divide, even as he moves farther away with every step he takes.

This book is powerful in so many ways.  It's really a commentary about life, the people we meet, regret, etc.  I dog-eared a specific passage that really touched me and I think, sums up the human condition:

"He had learned that it was the smallness of people that filled him with wonder and tenderness, and the loneliness of that too.  The world was made up of people putting one foot in front of the other; and a life might appear ordinary simply because the person living it had been doing so for a long time.  Harold could no longer pass a stranger without acknowledging the truth that everyone was the same, and also unique; and that this was the dilemma of being human." (Joyce, 2012, p. 158)

2 comments:

  1. Nisey, I just read this book and loved it. Thank you so much for the review. I must have made note of the title months ago when perusing your blog and downloaded it. Then I didn't get around to reading it for months (babies do that to your life... aaagh!). I picked it up just a few days ago and it hooked me completely. The speed with which I read it suggests i devoured it, but I didn't... I savoured it! I couldn't recall how I came to have it on my kindle, then I suddenly thought... I bet Nisey recommended it! Thank you again... xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jacqui, that's wonderful! I'm so glad you liked the book! As you might've noticed I haven't been doing a lot of reading lately. Unfortunately, I don't have the excuse of cute Davy as a distraction. ;) I go through phases where I read a lot and then phases where I don't read at all. I'm currently reading The Cuckoo's Calling but it's slow-going due to a current lazy phase. Great talking to you and Davy the other day! :D

    ReplyDelete